They’re chocolatey, chewy, slightly crumbly, and melt in your mouth like a dream. These are my absolute go to cookie recipe since everyone loves them, and they always turn out great! Personally, I love the texture rolled oats give to all treats and baked goods, including bread. They make what ever you put them in a little bit more satisfying. You can also then say you’re eating oatmeal, just in the form of a cookie, right?
Anyhow, I’ve been making these cookies for at least a year, and finally sharing the recipe. They’re quick to make, you can make them according to your own preferences or allergies, vegan, gluten free, sugar free, but you can also make them like any regular cookies with butter and sugar. You do know those sort of things do go straight to the biceps? It’s science, darling! I must recommend making these with browned butter. Just use the same amount of browned butter as in the recipe, 100g that is. There also are ways to make vegan browned butter too, however, I haven’t tried making it myself. These store really well in the fridge but also in room temperature and lasts (if they don’t disappear quicker in your house) for at least a week. Perfect to keep in the fridge for whenever you need a little enegy boost or treat or to prepare in advance for a birthday party or Swedish “fika”.
Enough said, I’ll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Enjoy!
The Perfect Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies are the kind that just melts in your mouth, which you can probably tell by the look of them. They’re super quick to wip up, can be stored for long time, easily be made vegan, refined sugar or gluten free, and not to forget gosh darn delicious. The chewiness and slight crumbliness of the oats makes these cookies to my absolute go to.
- Yield: 12 cookies 1x
- 100g / 3,5 oz margarine or butter
- 1 1/4 dl / 1/2 cup granulated sugar of choice*
- 60g / 2,1 oz plain flour**
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- A big pinch of salt
- A splash of vanilla extract or 1/2 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup rolled oats
- 100g / 3,5 oz roughly chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
- Stir together the margarine with the sugar until soft.
- Add all the ingredients except the oats and chocolate.
- Lastly, stir and fold in oats and chocolate. If too dry, add a splash of water until it comes together.
- Line two pans with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 12 balls and place them on the two pans. Just slightly flatten the cookie dough balls. They will spread a lot.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a cooling rack, and enjoy!
*I used 0,75dl brown sugar and 0,5dl “sötströ” a sugar free alternative.
**You should be able to substitute the plain flour with a gluten free flour mix or finely milled oat flour. Haven’t tried it myself though.
Keywords: oatmeal cookies, vegan. healthy, sugar free, gluten free, chocolate chip, refined sugar free