Okay, don’t get me wrong, I love cinnamon buns. However, some (silly) people don’t like cinnamon, nor cinnamon buns. So the other day, I decided to go out of my comfort zone, experiment and see what more bun fillings might exist beyond cinnamon. I think apricot and chocolate is a classic combination that shouldn’t only be enjoyed by dipping apricot slices in chocolate. These buns of goodness (not steel) celebrate that simple, yet delicious, flavour combination, which make them the perfect treat. What more is there to say? Oh, you could of course do other kinds of chocolate, milk or white, or substitute the apricots to nectarines or peaches.
Apricot & Chocolate Filled Wheat Buns of Goodness
Have you dried a chocolate dipped dried apricot? Imagine that but like a gooey and delicious bun. Exactly. Yum!
- Yield: 12 buns 1x
For the dough
- 1,75 dl / 3/4 cup / 175g luke warm milk of your choice
- 1/2 tbsp / 7g melted margarine or oil of choice
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 / 7g dry yeast package or half a yeast cube
- 5 dl / 2 cups / 240g of whole grain flour
For the filling
- 160g chocolate of choice
- 10 fresh apricots
- Grease or line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix the lukewarm milk, oil/margarine, sugar, salt, cardamom, and yeast.
- Start mixing in 3,5 dl/ 1,5 cups flour, then continue adding a tablespoon of flour at a time until the dough starts to pull away from the bowl.
- Form a ball out of the dough and flour well. Put it back in the bowl and let rise for 20-25 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and slice the apricots into thin slices.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F. On a well-floured surface (you need more flour than you think, trust me) roll the dough into a large rectangle. Cover the rectangle with the chocolate, leaving the edge, around 1,5 cm / 1/2 inch, clean. Continue and cover the chocolate smothered rectangle with the apricot slices and roll into a, more of less, beautiful log.
- Cut the log into 12 cinnamon buns with a sharp knife. Transfer the cinnamon buns to the muffin tin and let rise for 20-45 minutes depending on how much time you’ve got on your hands.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden! Let cool and enjoy!
Keywords: Apricot, chocolate, wheat buns, sweet rolls, vegan, healthy