For the longest amount of time, I was not a fan of rhubarb, what so ever. However, one of spring’s many beautiful seasonal ingredients. I simply just had to make myself like it. Hence, the creation of these cuties back in Mars 2017. Since then I have updated the recipe and it is at minimum 10x times (trust me the old one was rather crappy) and absolutely lovely. My mission to start liking rhubarb was a total success.
Delightful Rubarb Muffins
Seasonal and fresh rhubarb muffins. Perfect for picnics in the warm spring or summer weather
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 65g / 2,3 oz oat flour
- 60g / 2,1 oz buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp milled flax or chia seeds
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- A hearty pinch of salt
- 200ml / 1 cups minus 3 tbsp milk of choice
- 40g / 1,4 oz coconut sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 60g / 2,1 oz pitted dates
- 40g / 1,4 oz nut butter of choice (I used cashew butter)
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large stalks of rhubarb, sliced into 1 cm thick slices
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC / 320ºF. Grease or line a muffin pan with 12 paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix the oat flour, buckwheat flour, milled flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a blender, blend the milk, sugar, dates, nut butter, vinegar, and vanilla smooth.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in half of the sliced rhubarb.
- Quickly transfer to the batter, stir in, and divide between the muffin liners and top with the remaining rhubarb. Do not fill the liners over 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Take out, let cool, and enjoy!
Keywords: Rhubarb muffins, healthy, vegan, gluten free