Heyo good lookings, what’s cooking? Let me start with saying; we all know how great blondies and marbled cake are. So why not combine the two to create the most delicious treat, because what can go wrong? Let me rephrase, how can’t a combination of the two simply not make the world a slightly better place to live in.
Quite recently, I purchased a small bottle of toffee essence, at a local deli. This deli has so many products it’s ridiculous, everything from different spices and dried herbs, which they specialise in, to deli products, like jam and oil, and baking supplies, like sprinkles and essences. Of course, I had to experiment with the toffee essence immediately. First thing I did when I came home was to make some simple nice cream flavouring it with the essence and a generous amount of salt. Yum!
Anyhow, sometimes I get these sudden moments filled with ideas and inspiration for recipes. This recipe was created during one of those moments. Like, peanut butter, toffee, vanilla and chocolate cake in the shape of a blondie, what can possibly be wrong with that? Honestly, these were utterly delicious, to say the least. However, I think I should let you know that they’re obviously a bit more on the “cakey” side, as they’re marbled cake blondies. If you’d like your blondies more fudgey you can definitely bake them for a shorter amount of time, add more peanut butter and choc’ chips. Darn it, I should have done that! Well, the end result was on point anyway.
ENough rambling, enjoy!
Marbled Peanut Butter Toffee & Chocolate squares
16 medium squares Prep time 20-30 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes Total time 40-50 minutes
- 15 / 150g pitted dates
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup milk of choice
- 4 tsbp peanut butter
- 1,25 dl / 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- A splash of vanilla extract
For the two different batters
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 30g melted chocolate
- 2 tsp toffee extract (optional)
- A large handful of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and grease a pan. My pan was around 18×18 cm, 7×7 inches.
- In a blender or food processor blend the dates, milk, peanut butter smooth. In a separate bowl mix the flours, baking soda and powder, and salt. Add the date mixture and vanilla to the dry, mix until combined.
- Transfer roughly 1/3 of the batter to a separate bowl. Add the cocoa and melted chocolate, mix until combined
- To the original bowl, add the toffee extract and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the toffee batter to the pan, smooth out and top with dollops of the chocolate batter. Using a knife make swirl in the batter, optionally top with some more chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for 18-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, cut into squares and enjoy!