Ever since posting this recipe, I have received such lovely comments how this recipe has been a cure to satisfy people’s cravings for nostalgia. You guys are simply too precious!
I actually have no memory of ever having a butterfinger when younger. I got the idea when scrolling through my Instagram feed and saw a regular “unhealthy” recipe. Slightly off topic, I find it rather hilarious how my mind works, the mind of a proper “health” foodie. I literally can look at a regular “unhealthy” recipe and know exactly how I can substitute different ingredients and make a recipe of my own. Silly right?
Anyway, I often say that my mum loved this or that recipe. This time it was my dad who absolutely adored the result! He always likes what I bake and cook, but this time… Let me put it like this; they disappeared record breakingly quickly.
Chocolate Covered PB Cereal Candy Bars A.K.A. Butterfingers
- Yield: 6 bars 1x
- 60g / 2,1 oz pitted dates
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Eventually 1 tbsp water
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of vanilla essence
- 50g / 2,5 dl / 1 cup flakey cereal of choice, corn flakes, bran flakes etc. (I used this)
- 100g / 3 oz chocolate of choice for dipping
- Using a food processor, mixer or handstand mixer mix all the ingredients – except for the cereal – smooth.
- Transfer the date mixture to a bowl and, using your hands, mix together until combined. Transfer to a piece plastic foil or parchment paper and shape into a square. Let stiffen in the freezer and then cut, or verse versa. I find the bars easier to deal with when frozen, the chocolate hardens faster as well.
- While the bars are in the freezer melt the chocolate over a water bath of in the microwave. Dip and cover the bars in chocolate and let set. Enjoy!