Firstly, I must say I took these pictures during March when the sunlight wasn’t the best light source for photography. Hence, the wonky white-balance. Anyhow, some of my recipe ideas just come to me when I least expect it. At least that what happend with me for this recipe. I wanted to create something non-chocolate related and fresh. Guys, I really am making an effort not to not only make chocolate based recipe. The problems you have as a chocoholic, haha. Moving on, there’s no better flavours to combine in a creamy ice cream to celebrate the beautiful spring and summer than mango and passion fruit. These cuties is something you can easily make to keep in the fridge to be enjoyed whenever you crave something fresh, sweet, and rich yet not heavy. I also definitely see myself serving these at a party, as they’re pretty darn impressive if you ask me. In summary, yum!
Passion & Mango Dream Ice Cream Bars
The tropical combination of passion fruit mango in a cashew-based piece of heavenly goodness.
- Yield: Serving 6-8 large bars or ∼16 smaller squares
- 150g / 5,3 oz pitted dates
- 60g / 2,1 oz nuts and seeds of choice (I used cashews)
- 30g / 1 oz shredded coconut
- 40g / 1,4 oz rolled oats
- A generous pinch of salt
- A splash of vanilla extract
Mango Lemon Filling layer
- 100g / 3,5 oz cashews, soaked overnight or for at least four hours in warm water
- 5–6 tbsp liquid (I used 4 tbsp soy milk and 2 tbsp strong espresso)
- 1/3 of the zest of a lemon
- 80g / 2,8 oz pitted dates
- 200g / 7 oz fresh or defrosted mango
- A hearty pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra liquid sweetener of choice to taste
- The contents of two ripe passion fruits for topping
- Start with lining a square or rectangular dish with plastic wrap or parchment paper. My dish was 12 x 16 cm / 5 x 6 inches.
- Start with the bottom layer by processing the all the ingredients in a food processor or powerful blender into a nice slightly crumbly dough. It should easily keep it’s shape squeezed in your hand.
- Transfer the “dough” to the prepped dish and press and flatten using your hands.
- For the filling, blend the cashews, liquid, lemon zest, pitted dates, mango, salt, vanilla, and sweetener completely smooth in a high speed blender. Transfer and pour on top of bottom layer. Let set in the freezer over night or until solid. Once ready to serve, simply cut into rectangles, top with passion fruit, and enjoy. I recommend letting them thaw a little before serving as well.
Keywords: mango, passion fruit, ice cream bar, vegan, gluten free, date sweetened, refined sugar free, dairy free, dessert, ice cream