“Hannah, isn’t millet for birds?” you say.
Well, so I thought until a couple of months ago when I realised I can actually buy it in my regular supermarket! I did some Googling and found some recipes but none felt authentic. So I decided to make my own favourite combo lots of onion, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Mmmmmm…
Authentic millet risotto with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 200g / 25 mushrooms
- 2 large onions
- Oil of choice or use a very non-stick pan/pot
- 2 dl / 160g millet
- 6 dl / 2,5 cups water or stock
- 1 dl / 1/3 cup+1 tbsp white wine
- If using water you need one stock cube or stock concentrate
- Salt and pepper
- Optionally 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- Optionally 1/2+ dl / 1/5 cup nutritional yeast or cheese of choice depending on taste
- Cut up the mushrooms and onions and saute in a large pot with a little bit of oil until the onion start to turn translucent. Add the millet, sun-dried tomatoes, liquids and optionally the stock cubes/concentrate.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until creamy. Add more spices if desired. Before serving optionally add the nutritional yeast or cheese. Enjoy!