I reckon I’m not the only one who loves ice cream sandwiches in a very childish and nostalgic way. As a child, whenever we went to get ice cream I would ALWAYS get GB’s ice cream sandwich. So when I out of the blue started craving ice cream sandwiches badly, I had no other choice to make my own version. Honestly, these are just as fabulous as the original; I’d say even better as these don’t contain dairy nor funny business.
I just have one question; am I the only one who just adores recreating childhood favourites? In my opinion, 9/10 times trying to recreate old favourites myself, the result ends up just as good or even better than the original.
PS. What was your favourite as ice cream as a child?Print
Nostalgic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Hooray! Now you can the most nostalgic wanna be GB Sandwich ice cream sandwiches at home. The combination of vanilla ice cream and a dark brownie truly is top notch.
- Yield: 6 large ice cream sandwiches
- 200g frozen banana OR 200g ice cream of choice
- Optionally a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt
- One batch brownies of choice that makes around 20 servings, for example two batches of my vegan, healthiest, and easiest fudge brownies or one batch of my mocca black bean brownies without the currants (not vegan)
- Prepare the brownie batter and one large square or rectangular cake pans. Divide the batter into two and bake. Note that the brownies should be very thin! Let the brownies cool completely.
- In a food processor or strong mixer mix the frozen banana with the salt and vanilla until it forms a soft serve texture. If too dry to mix and one or two tbsp plant milk or water at a time.
- In the bottom of the cake pan you used before, layer one of the brownie layers. Transfer the nice cream to to pan and spread it evenly on top of the bottom brownie layer. Lastly, seal the deal by placing the last brownie layer on top. Apply some pressure to make sure the brownie and nice cream don’t separate later when eating. After letting it set in the freezer for a few hours cut up and enjoy!
Keywords: Ice cream sandwich, homemade, vegan, healthy, nice cream, brownie, gluten free