Yes, I did come up with the idea and created the recipe after the Swedish national “fat Tuesday”, which is supposed to be the only day you eat “semlor” (a kind of Swedish cardamom wheat bun filled cream and almond paste). Shame on me, indeed.
Anyhow, this is the result of some experimentation of mine, and I’m happy to say I am pleased with the simplicity of the actual recipe. However, the flavour is complex, cardamom, coconut, almonds etc. and the dish has different textures in contrast to each other, smooth cream and almond paste in contrast to the granola. Not to forget, it’s so quick and easy to make and easily adjustable as well. Personally, I am super pleased with the result as I believe that anyone can enjoy this dessert. Children will love its sweetness and mild flavours, adults will love the contrast in textures and complex flavours.
Enough said, enjoy guys!
Coconut Cream & Almond Semla Parfait
Serving 2 small dessert Time 15 minutes
- 50g / 1,75 oz pitted dates
- 2-3 tbsp almond flour
- 1 dl / 1/3 cup room temperature coconut cream or other whipping cream of choice
- Optional 1-2 tsp sweetener of choice
- A splash of vanilla essence
- Around 4-6 tbsp granola or muesli of choice, preferably flavoured with cardamom
- Optional icing sugar for topping (just for looks)
- In a food processor or mixer, process the dates while adding a tbsp of almond flour at a time until you get a nice paste. If it gets too dry add some plant milk or water and if too wet add more almond flour.
- Using an electric whisk whip the cream fluffy together with the optional sweetener and vanilla.
- Divide the granola between two dessert bowls. If the granola is not already cardamom flavoured you can sprinkle some on top. Divide the almond paste between the two dessert bowls, top with the coconut cream (I used a piping bag for these two steps), and optionally top with icing sugar and more granola.