For the longest amount of time, I was not a fan of rhubarb, what so ever. However, one of spring’s many beautiful seasonal ingredients. I simply just had to make myself like it. Hence, the creation of these cuties back in Mars 2017. Since then I have updated the recipe and it is at minimum 10x times (trust me the old one was rather crappy) and absolutely lovely. My mission to start liking rhubarb was a total success.
Delightful Rhubarb Muffins
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Serving 12 medium muffins Prep time 15 minutes
Baking time 20-30 minutes Total time 35-45 minutes
- 10 pitted dates
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla essence or extract
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup milk of choice
- 4-5 tbsp / 100g apple sauce
- 5 dl / 2 cups flour
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large stalks rhubarb
- Optionally 1 tbsp of honey + a dash or two of cardamom
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC / 400ºF and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin shapes.
- Mix the dates, vanilla, milk and apple sauce smooth in a food processor, mixer or using a handmixer.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Prepare the rhubarb by cutting into 0,5 cm / 1/4 inch thick slices and coat in the honey and cardamom.
- Add the date mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add half the rhubarb and give it a good stir.
- Divide the batter equally between twelve muffins forms and top with the remaining rhubarb and honey. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and a tooth pick runs clean. Enjoy!!