Even chocoholics need to take a break from chocolate every now and then. Let me rephrase, even chocoholics need to take five minute’s breaks from chocolate every now and then.
Cardamom, a spice sadly not often used in the western world outside Scandinavia. Cardamom has a strong, pungent flavor and aroma, with hints of lemon, mint, and smoke. In Sweden we traditionally have it in sweet dessert or pastries. We don’t only have cinnamon buns but cardamom buns as well.
If one is allowed to say it oneself, I am very pleased with this truly beautiful and complex flavour combination. Cardamom and orange really complement each other very well. Almost forgot, this recipe has been not only tested on my family, as usual, but my basketball team as well. They certainly did not seem to mind me baking and bringing this to practise again.
Anyway, hope you enjoy!
Fluffy yet healthy Orange and Cardamom spiced cake
[Vegan friendly, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Serving: 10 portions Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-25 minutes Total time: 30-45 minutes
- 16 pitted dates
- 1,5 dl / 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 3 organic, free range eggs (or 3 tbsp milled flax+5tbsp hot water mixed as a flax egg and 4 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea water) whipped)
- 1,5 dl / 2/3 cup flour of choice (I used whole grain spelt flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- The zest of half an orange, more if prefered
- 1/2-1 tsp cardamom
- Optionally a small pinch of salt
*I made the icing you can see in the picture using some coconut butter, powdered sugar, water and cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and prepare a cake pan.
- Blend the milk, dates and vanilla smooth in a blender, food processor or in a separate bowl using a hand mixer. Mix the dry ingredients separate in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs until pretty much only foam remains in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the date mixture (I like to sift it) and mix until combined. Fold the eggs into the batter, be careful, you want the cake to be as fluffy as possible!
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 15-20 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!