Swedishness overload! This is probably the most typical swedish treat known to existence! This is creamy, sweet, choclately with a mocha twist… *drooling*
This is a healthy, whole food, oil and butter/margarine free, fruit sweetened (= refined sugar-free) version of one of Sweden’s most loved sweets, chokladbollen! They really taste like the real thing, not like your regular raw/date energy balls! Omnomnom! So easy to make too!
You really should try this recipe it’s so good and I must say this is my favourite thing ever! I promise you all, Swedes just adore these beauties and not without reason…
I’m so happy with the result even my brother randomly took one as I was rolling them in the coconut and later asked, with the sound of doubt in his voice, if they were healthy. He really thought it was the regular “unhealthy” kind and literally couldn’t taste any difference what so ever! I think that’s proof enough to show they really taste like the original! 😉
Chocolate mocha oat balls A.K.A “chokladbollar”
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Serving: 14 balls Time: 10-15 minutes
- 8 pitted dates
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp of nut butter*
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 0,5 dl / 3-4 tbsp cup strong coffee
- Optionally a small pinch of salt and vanilla extract/essence
- Shredded coconut or pearl sugar for rolling
- Mash the dates in a bowl with a fork. If your dates aren’t soft enough mix them in a blender or food processor with the coffee.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Take a little bit of the “dough”, around 1 tbsp, and it roll in your hands to small balls.
Roll in shredded coconut. Serve or let firm up in the fridge.
*I use unsweetened chocolate peanut butter from Urtekram