Happy first of December everyone! 🎄
Still haven’t gotten over this cake, it’s life was very short-lived. Approved by my whole basketball team as well.
I thought what better way to start this festive season with something to give to you a bit of a slow start. Cinnamon is just perfect for the winter and autumn season if you ask me.
Giant Cinnamon bun cake
[Vegan friendly, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Serving: 10 portions Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-25 minutes Total time: 30-45 minutes
- 16 pitted dates
- 1,5 dl / 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 3 organic, free range eggs (or 3 tbsp milled flax+5tbsp hot water mixed as a flax egg and 4 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea water) whipped)
- 1,5 dl / 2/3 cup flour of choice (I used whole grain spelt flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Optionally a small pinch of salt
For the filling
- 16 dates
- 6-8 tbsp of water
- Optionally 2 tbsp of nut butter of choice
- 1,5-2 tbsp of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of vanilla essence
- Optionally some pearl sugar, very Swedish, or icing of choice for a more American version.
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and prepare a cake form.
- Blend the milk, dates and vanilla smooth in a blender, food processor or in a separate bowl using a hand mixer. Mix the dry ingredients separate in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs until pretty much only foam remains in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the date mixture (I like to sift it) and mix until combined. Fold the eggs into the batter, be careful, you want the cake to be as fluffy as possible!
- Transfer the batter to the prepared form.
- To make the filling simply mix the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a piping or plastic bag. Pipe the cinnamon date mixture in a swirly, cinnamon bun pattern. With some slightly wet hands push the swirl down so when baking it won’t pop up and burn.
- Bake the cake for 15-20 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!