Want to know the ultimate test to know if a recipe was a success? Make everyone you know try it, haha. So most my recipes have not only been tried by the rest of my family but also my basketball team.
If it doesn’t convince you enough then I have got to tell you that marbled cake has always been, ever since I was a small child, one of my absolute favourites. As it is one of my favourites I just HAD to create my own healthy delicious version and this is the result. Yum, just yum!
Healthy Vegan Marbled cake
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Serving: 10 portions Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-25 minutes Total time: 30-45 minutes
- 1,5 dl / 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 16 pitted dates
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 3 organic, free range eggs (or 3 tbsp milled flax+5tbsp hot water mixed as a flax egg and 4 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea water) whipped)
- 1,5 dl / 2/3 cup flour of choice (I used whole grain spelt flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Optionally a small pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and prepare a cake form.
- Blend the milk, dates and vanilla smooth in a blender, food processor or in a separate bowl using a hand mixer. Mix the dry ingredients separate in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs until pretty much only foam remains in a separate bowl. Add the date mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold the eggs into the batter, be careful you want the cake to be as fluffy as possible!
- Pour around 1/2 the batter into the cake form, I used a buntcake mold.
- Add the cocoa powder to the rest of the batter and mix until combined Now pour that part of the batter on top of the vanilla batter in the form. If you want to you can use a fork or knife and use it to run through the batter to create a marbled look.
- Bake the cake for 15-20 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!