Swedish apple season! One of the best times of the year. Solely because that is when you can eat the perfect apple, you know what I am talking about, everyday! Juicy, crispy, preferably cold, straight out the fridge. (My mouth is drooling) However, Swedish apple season brings… a lot of apples… a lot of them… Like the “no waste person” I am I started slicing, dicing and then drying a ridiculous amount. Just one problem, one can just eat a certain amount of dried apple slices before one starts getting slightly bored of it. Hence, the creation of this deliciousness!
Enough said, enjoy!
(If you want to dry your own fruit in the oven just thinly slice what ever fruit you want, spread out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, dry over night. I recommend the oven be on the lowest temperature possible, 50ºC-70ºC. Also it is vital to stick a utensil between the oven door and the oven so it’s ajar so the evaporated water can escape.)
Apple Pie Bites with a dreamy Caramel core
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, low fat, fruit sweetened, paleo]
Serving: 8 balls Time: 15 minutes
- 12 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 60g / 2,5 dl / 1 cup dried apple
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon and cardemum
- Two splashes of vanilla extract
- A tiny pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp rolled oats or oat flour
- 2 tbsp water
- Optionally 2 tbsp of nuts or seeds of choice
- Mix half of the dates together with the nut butter, a splash of vanilla and salt. Then roll into small balls and let them set in the freezer on a plate while you make the rest.
- Mix the remaining ingredients (only 6 dates instead of 12) in a mixer or food processor until it forms a dough. If it’s too moist to roll just add some more flour, verse versa. Take one of the caramel balls and form a ball around it using the apple pie “dough, and voila, enjoy!