For two whole years, my favourite smoothie has been a combination of cocoa powder, coffee, and raspberries. The flavours marry each other like a dream. Chocolate and coffee with a fresh tartness from the berries – a match made in heaven. Hence, the creation of this recipe! Also, if you want a normal (yet fab) black bean brownie simply skip adding the currants and coffee and voilà! Delicious and nutritious!
Chocolate + coffee + tart fruit = heaven!!
Divine Mocca black bean brownies with red curants
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, grain-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20-30 minutes Total time: 40-50 minutes
Servings: 20 brownies
- 12 pitted dates / 120g (preferably rather dry )
- 2 tbsp of honey or liquid sweetener of your choice
- 1 tbsp instant coffe granulates
- 1 container of black beans (à 240g)
- 4 free range organic eggs
- Optionally 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 dl / 2/5 cups / 7 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1/2-1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1-2,5 dl / 1/2-1 cup red currants or sour berry/fruit of choice (lingon berries or cranberries work just as good!)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C / around 350°F.
- Mix the dates and honey in a food processor until smooth. Add a tsp. of water or more if needed to blend properly.
- Drain and rinse the beans properly. Add them to the food processor and mix until smooth.
- Add in the eggs and coffe and mix so until combined.
- Now add in the rest of the ingredients; the coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla powder and baking powder. Mix until everything is combined.
- Line a baking tin with baking paper or grease it. Pour the mixture into the tin and flat it out. Put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on the tin you’re using.
My baking tin is 28×16 cm / 11×6,3 inches. You can of course use tins that are different sizes but you might need to adjust the baking time.