I have a confession… I am the kind of person who buys too many bananas just to make banana bread with them once they start to over-ripe, hehe. Anyone else? No, yes?
Anyway, I don’t know about you guys but I hate it when you try to make a decent baked good and it turns out like a mushy – however delicious – cake shaped mush. Yes, I said mushy and mush in the same sentence, that’s how bad it sometimes gets. OF COURSE, one still wants a moist cake, just not mushy… Finally, I have found a fab recipe that not only tastes amazing but also doesn’t turn out like a mush! Moist, yet cake like and sliceable! Horaay! Not to forget:
banana + chocolate + coconut = fab dab combo. (Especially if you ask my dad.)
Enjoy, my peeps!
Heavenly Chocolate coconut banana bread
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Servings: one medium loaf Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes Total time: 1h 15 minutes
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup of flour of choice*
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup of coconut flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 3 large spotty and preferably over ripe bananas, mashed
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- 100g / 3,5 ounces chopped chocolate of choice
- 1/2 dl / 1/4 cup Coconut flakes for topping
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC / 350ºF and grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the banana with the milk and vanilla smooth in a food processor or mixer or by using a hand mixer.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine. Mix in the chopped chocolate, coconut flakes and dried fruit.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, optionally top with more chocolate and coconut. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick runs clean. Simply enjoy by itself or with spread of choice.
*I used oat flour. Be aware that all flours react differently when baked but if you try something else I’d love to hear how it went!