What could possibly make your breakfast better if not granola? Chocolate granola! I have this very complicated relationship with granola. Just kidding, I love it. So good on top of nice cream, yoghurt, in fruit salads, with oat milk and fruit etc.
You can make huge batches that lasts for weeks as long as you store it in an air tight container. Then you’ll always have a snack, topping or super quick breakfast.
I really like the chocolate/apricot/hazelnut combination but you can choose whatever nuts, seeds and dried fruit you fancy! Coconut, banana, goji berries? The combinations are endless!
Perfectly crispy chocolate granola
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Servings: 8 hearty servings Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes Total time: 30-40 minutes
- 5 pitted dates
- 1/2 dl / 3,5 tbsp cacao
- 1/2 dl / 1/2 cup water
- A pinch of salt
- Optionally 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup oats
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup puff cereal of choice, like puffed rice or puffed spelt
- 1 dl / 1/2 cups steel-cut oats ( can be substituted with just more nuts)
- 1 dl / 1/2 cups mixed nuts and seeds preferably roasted*
- 1 dl / 50g / 1,75 ounces dried fruit of choice
- Optionally but truly recommended 30g / 1 ounce chopped chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 150ºC / 300ºF
- In a blender mix the dates, cocoa, water, salt and vanilla smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the oats, puff cereal, steel-cut oats and nuts. Mix in the chocolate date mixture and make sure everything gets covered.
- Spread out on one to two baking trays and roast for 20-25 minutes or until crispy. Stiring every 5-10 minutes. Let cool, mix in the dried fruit, chocolate and enjoy!