I hope the picture captured your attention! I got to say that it actually is as creamy as it looks, without doubt!
I looked back at some of my first post and recipes and realised how far I have come, both in the quality of the photos and recipes! I realised how icy my old ice cream recipe looked and decided to make the most epic, creamy, dairy-free, whole food ice cream ever! I’m sure it won’t disappoint you!
At only 150 kcal per 100g (around one scoop) you can eat as much as you fancy! It’s rather low-fat, 7,5g per 100g, fruit sweetened A.K.A. no sugar what so ever added and filled with flavour!
Creamy dairy-free chocolate ice cream
[Whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, grain-, oil-free, fruit sweetened]
Servings: 4-6 hungry people or around 900g finished product
Prep time: 25-30 minutes Freezing time: 2 hours
Total time: Around 2,5 hours
- 6 dl / 2,5 cups milk of choice (I have found that soya milk works the best)
- 35g / 1,2 pounces / 6 tbsp of cocoa or cacao powder
- 125g / 12 pitted dates
- 60g / 2 ounces chopped chocolate of choice (I used 85% cocoa chocolate)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence or extract
- 4 egg yolks
- Optionally 4 tbsp cacao nibs and/or 4 tbsp mulberries or 2 cut up whole food blackbean brownies, or any other ad inns you fancy! 😉
- Put around 4 dl / 1,75 cups of milk in a sauce together with all the cocoa powder. Bring to a boil and add the chopped chocolate.
- As the milk mixture is heating up mix the dates with the rest of the milk until smooth in a mixer or food processor on the side.
- Add the date milk, salt and vanilla to the warm chocolate mixture, mix and heat up once again. It should start to thicken up quite a lot (but if it doesn’t it’s not the end of the world!)
- Wisp the egg yolks fluffy in a large mixing bowl. Keep on mixing as you add the hot chocolate liquid.
- Pour the liquid back in the saucepan and heat on medium heat until it has reached a temperature of 79ºC.
- Pour into the same mixing bowl as before and let cool for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and let it do its job for around 1-2 hours. Ad the end of the freezing process ad in your add inns of choice! immediately serve or put in a freezer safe container and put in the freezer.
Before serving, for perfect scooping results, I recommend letting it thaw for 1 hour in room temperature or 2-3 hours in the fridge!