I reckon I am not alone in my nostalgic love for ice cream sandwiches? Whenever we went to get some ice cream I ALWAYS got GB’s ice cream sandwich. Therefore, when I suddenly got a craving for these I had no other choice to make some myself. Honestly, these are just as fabulous as the original, even better as there’s no dairy nor funny business.
I just have one question; am I the only one who just adores recreating childhood favourites? 9/10 times the result becomes just as good or even better as the original, in my opinion.
PS. What was your favourite as ice cream as a child?
Healthy ice cream sandwich à la Hanna
[Vegan, whole food, refined sugar-, gluten-, grain-, oil-free, low-fat, fruit sweetened, paleo]
Serving 6 large ice cream sandwiches
- 200g frozen banana OR 200g ice cream of choice
- Optionally a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt
- One batch brownies of choice that makes around 20 servings, for example one batch of my black bean– or two batches of my healthiest and easiest fudge brownies
- Prepare the brownie batter and a square or rectangular cake pan/mold. Divide the batter into two and bake separately, let both cool.
- Once the brownie layers have cooled, in a food processor or strong mixer mix the frozen banana with the salt and vanilla until it forms a soft serve texture. If too dry to mix and one or two tbsp plant milk or water at a time.
- In the bottom of the cake pan you used before layer one of the brownie layers. Top with the ice cream, make sure it’s all equally spread out. Lastly, seal the deal by placing the last brownie layer on top. Apply some pressure to make sure the brownie and ice cream don’t separate later when eating. After letting it set in the freezer for a few hours cut up and enjoy!