My search for healthy ice cream has been a long one, I’ve found two brands here in Sweden that meet my requirements both taste and content wise and that Add ice cream. (I highly recommend them if you don’t feel like making your own)
As all store-bought ice cream it’s a bit pricy, so why not make your own super yummy ice cream? Also this ice cream can be made vegan!
This recipe uses two base ingredients and at least one more depending on which flavour you want. To be honest, I’ve never seen an ice cream sweetened this way, maybe I’ve found a new thing?
This is the ultimate ice cream, enjoy!
Easy two ingredient, fruit sweetened ice cream
Serving: 4-6 servings / 9 dl
Prep time: 10 minutes Ice cream machine time: 60 minutes
- 7 dl / around 3 cups milk of choice*
- 2 dl / 12 dates pitted dates
*I recommend using milk with a bit higher fat content because we’re not using any cream or other fat and otherwise the ice cream might become icy.
- Smooth chocolate: 4-5 tbsp cocoa powder
- Chunky: 4-5 tbsp cocoa powder and 1 dl (1/4 cup) of chopped chocolate or chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Chocolate brownie: 4-5 tbsp cocoa powder and bits of my delicious, refined sugar-free black bean brownies (they do not taste healthy ;))
- Chocolate coffee: 3-5 tbsp cocoa powder and 1-2 tsp (eventually more if wanted) of espresso powder
- Vanilla: 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- Carmel: 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or extract topped/mixed with some date sauce or maple syrup.
- Peanut: peanut butter to taste with 0,5-1 dl (1/5 cup-2/5c cup) peanuts
- Put 1 dl (2/5 cup) together with all your dates in a food processor and mix until completely smooth. If you want to know more about the consistency we’re looking for just check the photos down below.
- If you’re making chocolate or peanut butter ice cream heat up 1/2 dl (1/5 cup) of milk in a mug in the microwave. Be careful it only needs a couple of seconds! After you’ve heated the milk you can now add in the wished amount of cocoa powder or peanut butter, mix until smooth.
If you’re making anything that does not need this step, for example vanilla, just mix the date paste with the milk and powdered flavouring.
3. Now mix the date paste and the chocolate/or peanut mixture in a large bowl. Add in the milk and mix until combined.
4. Now just pour in the mix in your ice cream machine and let it work for at least one hour (depending on your machine). If you want it to have a thicker consistency than soft serve, just let it sit in the freezer until it’s hard enough.
Caution: It does melt rather quickly if let out, so scoop it when it’s still cold from the freezer.